Sunday, July 22, 2012

sour cream blueberry coffee cake


Imagine a moist coffee cake with a slightly crunchy blueberry topping and sweet glaze. If that sounds scrumptious, you’ll love this cake. It’s perfect for packing and taking on a trip for an easy, delightful breakfast treat. That’s exactly what I did with this cake. We spent the weekend on our boat in Catalina Island and I baked this cake the night before and packed it up for the trip. Not only did we enjoy it for breakfast, but it made a delicious mid-day snack as well.


This gorgeous blueberry topping of fresh blueberries, pecans, and cinnamon bakes right into the moist cake.  Speaking of a gorgeous topping, have you noticed my new blog header?  It was artistically designed by Shay Bocks Creative Services.  Check out her site and services if you are considering a fresh new look for your blog or website.


My beautiful daughter Melia loves blueberries! I’m always so happy to cook something containing blueberries for her. This coffee cake was a wonderful blueberry treat with the precise combination of sweet and tart.


Here are a couple of pictures from our weekend in Catalina.  My favorite is the picture of Melia with our dog Rocco.

The sour cream blueberry coffee cake quickly disappeared...this was my piece.


sour cream blueberry coffee cake
Adapted by Lone Star to Five Star  


Ingredients:

For the Coffee Cake:

1-½ cups flour

1-teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened

3/4-cup sugar

2 eggs

1-cup sour cream

1-teaspoon vanilla extract



For the Topping:

1-pint blueberries

½ cup chopped pecans

¼ cup brown sugar

1-teaspoon cinnamon



For the Glaze:

1-cup confectioners' sugar

4 teaspoons milk


Directions: 

To prepare the coffee cake, mix the flour, baking powder and salt together. Cream together the butter and sugar for 2 to 3 minutes until fluffy. Add the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add the flour mixture gradually and mix well. Spoon into a lightly greased 8-inch spring form pan.


To prepare the topping, crush ¼ cup of the blueberries in a bowl. Add the remaining blueberries, pecans, sugar, and cinnamon, and mix gently. Sprinkle over the coffee cake batter.


Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes. Place on a serving plate and remove the side of the pan.


To prepare the glaze, whisk the confectioners’ sugar and milk in a bowl until smooth. Using a tablespoon, drizzle over the coffee cake.

6 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious! And I love the picture of the lab. Cake and doggies always make me smile. I'm gonna give this recipe a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! You made me smile : )

      Delete
  2. this looks so moist & flavorful -- perfect for summer time!
    xo
    http://allykayler.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet people would go crazy for your recipes on tiptap.com, shoot me a message to get a private invite!

    -- jrosen@tiptap.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, this looks incredibly delicious!! I love blueberries, they go in my daily smoothies and get eaten by the handful :) So nice to connect with you, your blog is such a vibrant, happy place and I really enjoyed reading your 'about' section.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Dora.. the sour cream blueberry coffee cake looks absolutely delish.. sounds wonderful.. I am drooling over this. Can't wait to bake this when I get my hands on blueberries again. Have a wonderful week and your photos are beautiful!! Cheers, Jo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...