Monday, June 25, 2012

smoked salmon and dill spread



Appetizers can be encouragement for guests to start engaging in conversation when they arrive to your home. Often, when an appetizer is served that includes an interesting combination of flavors and appetizing presentation, it quickly becomes the topic of conversation. Most likely, your guests will want to know the recipe.

My lovely in-laws were recently guests for dinner in our home. Typically, the moment our guests walk through the front door, they enjoy gathering around our kitchen island, and start engaging in conversation. Honestly, there is no better way to start off a dinner, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. For this dinner, I wanted to begin by serving a simple appetizer prepared ahead of time, and placed on the kitchen island, ready for everyone’s arrival. This appetizer needed to be full of flavor, but not too filling. I opted for a smoked salmon spread and it worked perfectly, creating a great kick off to our family dinner. And guess what? My sister in-law asked for the recipe!


The blending of smoked salmon, tangy capers, and fresh dill specks in smooth cream cheese, creates a perfectly creamy pale pink spread that can’t be beat. This dip is perfect to serve with bagel chips. It is simple to prepare, yet elegant to serve. 


The key here is to purchase good-quality smoked salmon in a vacuumed–packaged plastic at your local grocery market. When you buy the packaged salmon it is already sliced, so you need only to lift the slices from the package and place into the food processor.  


After sixty-five years of marriage, my in-laws still have a deep love for one another. Both my husband and I admire their loving and affectionate relationship. We too hope to have such a life long bond. I feel blessed to have such amazing in-laws who are inspirational role models in marriage, and as parents and grandparents. They truly are the most in love couple that I know.

smoked salmon and dill spread
Adapted by At Blanchard’s Table: A trip to the beach

Ingredients:
12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2-cup sour cream
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup scallions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
¼ cup capers, rinsed and drained
8 ounces smoked salmon, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
Pinch of salt
Dash of fresh ground pepper
Fresh dill, for garnish
Bagel chips for serving

Directions:
Puree the cream cheese, sour cream, and lemon juice in food processor. Add the scallions, capers, salmon, chopped dill, and salt and pepper, and pulse to blend. Garnish with dill and serve at room temperature with bagel chips.

8 comments:

  1. I hope it is like that spicy chutney to dip it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This smoked salmon and dill dip looks very creamy and delicious. Your in-laws look so sweet, it's amazing when a relationship can last through all the good and bad times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really looks very elegant :)
    And I just had to get rid of whole pack of smoked salmon, because we didn't use it on time.. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I don't like having to throw something away because I couldn't use it in time. I should have posted this spread recipe sooner : )

      Delete
  4. Thank you! It is really simple to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some smoked salmon and I was wondering what I should do with it. This is perfect. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...