Friday, May 18, 2012

frittata with zucchini and goat cheese


Frittatas are a great dish because they can be eaten right away or saved for later and eaten for brunch or lunch. Frittatas actually taste better when made in advance and served cold. This frittata serves 2 to 4 people and can be cut in half or quartered. 


I’m one of those people who don’t really like eating eggs.  If I'm going to eat eggs, a lot of flavorful ingredients will need to be added.  

This is how strange I am about eating eggs:  
1.  I  love egg salad sandwiches, but hate eating a hard-boiled egg. 
2.  I won’t eat an omelet unless it is loaded with cheese. 
3.  I will only eat scramble eggs if I have buttered toast.  I put the egg on the toast and then take a bite. 
4.  I love Egg Benedict!


 
This frittata is perfect for egg haters like me, because it’s loaded with flavor from the goat cheese and red pepper. The zucchini is light and adds a healthy touch. Eating this light and healthy frittata for breakfast or brunch won’t leave you feeling guilty or sluggish.


Speaking of eggs, did you notice the vintage eggbeater in my photos? I recently purchased it at an Antique Mart in Santa Monica. My new found pleasure is searching for vintage cooking items.   I  never know what I will find and really do enjoy the treasure hunt.

Photo taken at the Santa Monica Antique Mart
Along with my eggbeater, I also found a vintage potato masher and two cookbooks, Wolfgang Puck’s Modern French Cooking for The American Kitchen and The New Better Housekeeping Cookbook.


 I can’t wait to make something from the Wolfgang Puck cookbook, such as his bread pudding and I have my eye on a yellow birthday cake from the Better Housekeeping cookbook. I will be sure to post whatever recipe(s) I decide to adapt from these two cookbooks. 



Frittata with zucchini and goat cheese
Adapted from Miss Dahl’s Voluptuous Delights, by Sophie Dahl

Ingredients:
1 zucchini, approximately 1 cup, thinly sliced
½ red bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
4 eggs
A handful of goat cheese, crumbled

Slice the zucchini thinly.  In an omelet sized non-stick frying pan, heat olive oil. Add zucchini slices, red bell pepper, and season with salt and pepper. Cook on low for about 10 minutes.

In a small bowl, beat the eggs with a pinch of salt. 

Sprinkle a handful of goat cheese over the zucchini mixture and immediately pour the eggs over everything, do not stir, and cook until lightly browned on the underside. Using a wide spatula, carefully turn over to brown the other side; alternatively, place pan under a hot broiler for a few minutes. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until later. This frittata is excellent served cold.

2 comments:

  1. These are little beauties! I love how elegant they look, and the combination of flavours is delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe! I just found you blog through Foodbuzz and I am SO happy I did! I did some growing up in Malibu/Santa Monica/ Palisades and although I absolutely love San Diego, I miss that area and always love coming back! I've only been to the antique mart a few times and they have such great finds there! I look forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...