Monday, May 28, 2012

chilled avocado soup


This time of year, ripe avocados are abundantly available in Southern California. We actually have a large avocado tree on one side of our house, which is very common in this area. Unfortunately, none are ripe at the moment. Even if we do get avocados, it is very likely that a possum will get to them before we can.  Luckily, the markets are full of ripe avocados this spring and have lowered their prices on them as well.

 

















     

         
           
I take pleasure in the flavor of avocados and enjoy making and eating guacamole. But one can only eat so much guacamole. So, after buying so many avocados on sale, today I decided to use them to make a chilled avocado soup instead of guacamole.

This soup is one of the easiest soup recipes that you will ever make. It’s made in a blender.  I will warn you though– do not use a cuisinart instead of a blender.  I made that mistake and once I poured in the broth and started pureeing, the soup came running out of the bottom. I lost almost half of the soup. What a mess!  You have been warned. The best advise that I can give you when using either a blender or even a cuisinart (for any recipe other than this one), is to start with solids and add liquids last.

For best result, use only ripe avocados for this soup. If you are unlucky in finding ripe avocados, you can easily place them in a paper lunch bag with an apple, which accelerates ripening, for a day or two.

I prefer this soup garnished with crème fraîche, chopped cilantro and edible flowers.  Try lumps of cold crabmeat for a more elegant approach.

Not only are avocado’s abundant this time of year, but so are hummingbirds. Our yard is buzzing with them right now and one hummingbird couple decided to make their nest in one of our smaller palm trees. 

 
I had to stay very still to take these pictures, only to start shooting my camera as soon as I heard the buzzing of the hummingbird’s wings. They aren’t the best pictures, but I think that they are pretty cool. Hummingbird's aren't the easiest of subjects to photograph.


In the above photo, the mama hummingbird is coming in for a landing onto her nest.  The daddy hummingbird hung around too.  I'm really not sure if they were trading off nesting duties, since I can't tell the two apart.  But there are definitely two of them flying about around our yard, so I'm assuming they are partners.


You have to look very closely, in the center of the tree, to see the hummingbird actually sitting in the nest.  This gives you an idea of how tiny these delicate birds are.  Only for seconds will she sit in her nest.

Hummingbirds are one of my favorite species of birds. I looked up pictures on hummingbirds and the ones in our yard looks most like the Anna’s hummingbird. The Anna's hummingbird (Calypte anna) is the most common hummingbird found in Southern California gardens and is also the largest of the species.

I hope that you are enjoying your spring as much as I am and are eating plenty of healthy and delicious avocados. 


chilled avocado soup

Ingredients:
2 ripe avocados
1 apple, cored, peeled and cut into chunks
1 cup plain yogurt ( full-fat works best)
1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock (you will need salt if you are using sodium-free stock)
salt to taste

Directions:
Cut each avocado in half from top to bottom, following the contour of the pit in the center.  remove the pit and scoop out the avocado.

Into the blender, add the avocado, apple, yogurt, chili flakes, lime juice, and stock. Puree until the soup is very smooth.  If the soup is too thick, add more broth to correct the consistency.    Transfer to a bowl, cover, and chill in refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.  If you are in a hurry, soup can be put into the freezer for 30 minutes.

Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.

Garnish soup with creme fraîche and chopped cilantro or garnish of choice.

5 comments:

  1. I have never had avocado soup, however, it does look like a tasty way to beat the heat! I will need to check on the pricing of avocados here-hopefully they are cheaper than usual here as well. Thanks for the tip concerning the right equipment to use.
    Hummingbirds are so stunning, cool that you have some nesting nearby! Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also never tried avocado soup, but I want to try it asap!! Great shot of the hummingbird couple in your yard! And how wonderful they have picked your tree to make their nest in :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful looking soup, we too have avocado trees. Love to try this recipe soon, thanks.

    I saw hummingbirds in the Bahamas many years ago, they are amazing creatures, thanks for the reminder.

    You are welcome to join in my monthly food blogger event THE SOUP KITCHEN, here offering a new theme each month. All bloggers are welcome, hope to see you participate soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm LOVE avos! I've never tried them in a chilled soup before, but the flavors look great! Also that is the most darling little next that I have ever seen! I hope they hatch soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice use of avocado. It would be super if you linked this post in to Food on Friday Series which is all about avocado this week.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...