Sunday, April 22, 2012

strawberry shortcake scones


In Malibu, you know that spring has arrived once you start seeing signs with a large strawberry posted on telephone poles along the coast. These signs signal that a truck is parked along Pacific Coast Highway, filled with farm fresh strawberries for sale.


This truck has the sweetest, biggest, and juiciest strawberries around. I purchased a five-pound box full of strawberries and just knew that I had to make one of my most favorite desserts, strawberry shortcake.


Not only did I make strawberry shortcake, but also I made it with fresh baked scones. Oh wow, was this the right decision. The strawberries were sweetened with sugar and lemon zest, which resulted in a sweet syrup.  Ahh...the strawberries were so sweet and crisp that they reminded me of what spring taste like.  The scones baked to a moist, flaky and buttery goodness, better than a biscuit or pound cake. Topped off with homemade cream, this quickly became the best (emphasis on best) strawberry shortcake that I ever ate.


My family and I ate our strawberry shortcake scones for dessert and breakfast the next day. I stored the left over scones in a zip lock bag at room temperature and kept the strawberries and cream refrigerated. I know that I’ve made something great when it’s the last thing that my family eats at night and the first thing that they want to eat in the morning.

If you decide to try the strawberry shortcake scones, be sure to pour spoonfuls of the strawberry syrup onto your scone. You will love how the scone absorbs that sweet juice. It will tickle your tongue pink.

I accidently dropped a strawberry on the floor and my dog, Dolce, gobbled it up within seconds. She continued to beg for another strawberry. So, being the softy that I am, I gave in and handed her another one. I’m not sure if strawberries are good for dogs or not, but they didn’t seem to have any effect on her. Wouldn’t you agree?


Oh yeah, the pink fur came from Malibu Grooming Co., not the strawberries.

I’m so happy that tonight is Sunday night and two of my favorite shows are on TV.  The Long Island Medium and The Real Housewives of New Jersey. I’m pretty sure that my hubby is happy too - NOT!  But he loves me so much, that he is willing to suffer for my happiness. I will continue to show him my love by making him another batch of strawberry shortcake scones.



strawberry shortcake scones
Adapted from Simply Divine by Lisa Vanderpump (The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills)

For the strawberries:
8 cups strawberries, cut tops off and slice after measuring
1 teaspoon lemon zest
¾ cups sugar

In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries and lemon zest with the sugar. Place bowl in refrigerator for approximately 20 minutes and up to 3 hours. The sugar will cause the strawberries to juice.

For the scones:
2-½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
3-tablespoon sugar
2-teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
2/3-cup whole milk
2 large eggs

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees.

In a medium bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

Add the butter, using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs with some pea-sized pieces of butter.

Mix the milk and egg with a fork to blend. Using a wooden spoon, slowly stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture just until it forms soft dough. Do not over mix.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Cut the dough into 4 to 6 equal pieces, depending on how large you want them. Scones will expand slightly when baked. Carefully shape each into a round mound. They do not have to be neat or evenly round. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle each of the tops with a little bit of sugar.

Bake until raised and golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and let cool.

For the cream:
1-cup heavy whipping cream
2-tablespoon sugar
1-teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Using an electric mixer beat the cream, sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form.

Spit each scone in half horizontally. For each serving, place a scone bottom on a dessert plate, top with sliced strawberries, their juice and cream, add the scone top and serve immediately.













3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Strawberries are getting cheaper, I foresee me making lots of dishes using strawberries. I think I will start with this one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love strawberry shortcake. And, I love the look of your blog... it makes me want to drive over to Malibu right this minute. Now, I know which blog to visit when I want to daydream about the beach.
    Thanks for the FB friend add, I look forward to sharing recipes with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great summer treat! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...