Sunday, March 25, 2012

tuna tartare with wonton chips


My rule is that I don’t cook dinner on Friday nights. It’s my night off. So most Friday nights, we either have dinner at the Jonathan Beach Club or Bui Sushi in Malibu. Bui Sushi serves tuna nachos, which are amazingly delicious. I tried to recreate them in this tuna tartare with wonton chips recipe.


I never realized how simple tuna tartare is to make. A few Japanese ingredients are required, which can be purchased at a local Japanese market.  Living in Southern California, these ingredients are easily found in a local super market.


Only use high-quality (sushi grade) tuna.


These wonton chips are baked instead of fried. Trying to save some calories here. I was really pleased how they turned out too. Crunchy and full of flavor.  The cracked pepper adds a gourmet touch.


Mixing the ingredients in one bowl makes this tuna tartare a snap to make.

Photo taken of Bui Sushi in Malibu
This is the entrance of Bui Sushi in Malibu.  Bui Sushi is located in a shopping center, located off of Pacific Coast Hwy.  It's very popular among local Malibu residents who flock there on Friday and Saturday nights.

Tuna tartare with wonton chips

Adapted: Simply Divine by Lisa Vanderpump

Ingredients:

Wonton chips:

1-package wonton wrappers, square (cut into triangles) or round

Olive oil for the chips

Salt and freshly ground pepper

Cooking spray

Tuna tartare:

1 pound high-quality tuna steak, cut into ½ inch cubes

1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut in ½ inch cubes

2-tablespoon Japanese masago fish eggs (optional)

¼ cup light mayonnaise

2-tablespoon fresh limejuice

2-tablespoon dark sesame oil

1-teaspoon La-Yu chili oil

2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds for garnish

Sriracha hot chili sauce (aka Rooster sauce) for garnish

Directions:

Wonton chips:

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Arrange the wrappers closely together on the cookie sheet. Brush the wrappers with olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Bake approximately 6 to 8 minutes until the chips are crisp and lightly browned.

Tuna tartare:

In a medium bowl, add the mayonnaise, limejuice, sesame oil, chili oil, and masago whisking until blended. Add the tuna and avocado and gently fold together.

For serving, place a small portion onto plates and garnish with sesame seeds and Sriracha hot chili sauce. Serve with the wonton chips.

10 comments:

  1. Ooo, I've never tried making wonton chips before! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its good to have a break from cooking sometime. I like the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonton chips.....brilliant! Thought I oven baked every kind do chips I could think of, looks like I was wrong. Love you pics!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great dish, I love to order it if I can and kudos to you for making it! I'm intrigued by the wonton chips and will be looking out for those at the store...I feel some inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these look amazing :) I love the wonton chip idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's not to like here? Such a great recipe with loads of fresh ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dori! I nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award! You can check out my post on the award at www.piggyinpolkadots.blogspot.com
    Thanks for joining my site too sweetie!! I love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love tuna tartare! I've never thought of adding fish eggs... that would be a fun addition. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...