Wednesday, March 28, 2012

panko crusted chicken parmesan



Ok, I know...it's another Italian recipe.  Didn't I mention how much I love to cook and eat Italian dishes?  This is another must try Italian dish!


I made these chicken cutlets with panko bread crumbs for an extra crunchy coating.  I will never go back to using regular bread crumbs.  I know, panko bread crumbs are Japanese, not Italian.  But panko works magnificently for a really crunchy texture.


For this recipe, start with the marinara sauce and allow to simmer while cooking the chicken cutlets.  This marinara sauce is a basic tomato sauce that cooks quickly.


Place chicken breast in a zip lock bag and lightly pound chicken breast with a cooking mallet until they are 1/2 inch in thickness.


Fry chicken breast in olive oil.  The panko crust is so crisp and crunchy and the chicken stays extra moist.  Veal and pork chops are delicious prepared the same way.


Chicken breast are added to the marina sauce and cooks just long enough to allow the cheese to melt.  This dinner is so simple and quick to cook.  The results are amazingly delicious.

Tra di Noi, means "between us," is an Italian restaurant that is located in Malibu.  They are very friendly and provide attentive service.  The name was chosen based on the restaurant's belief of a causal, friendly and homey atmosphere.

During the day, the restaurant opens up their service window for quick ordering.  This gives you the option to eat lunch on one of the many outdoor benches located in the park area.



This restaurant's service and atmosphere makes you feel as if you are eating in Italy's countryside.


panko crusted chicken parmesan

For the marinara:
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
3 or 4 cloves garlic, minced
2 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with puree
½ cup basil, chopped
1-teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
In a large sauce pan, on low heat, heat olive oil. Add red pepper and garlic, cook 1 minute.

Raise heat to medium-high and add the tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper. Let the sauce come to a soft boil, then cover and lower the heat. Allow sauce to simmer for approximately 20 minutes, while cooking the chicken breast cutlets.

For the pasta:
1 box linguine

In large pot, bring salted water to a boil, add pasta and cook for 12 minutes.  Drain and rinse with cold water.

For the panko crusted chicken cutlets:

4 boneless chicken breast, skin and extra fat removed
4 eggs
2-cups all-purpose flour (cake flour works wonderfully too)
2-teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 cups panko bread crumbs or more, if needed
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Italian flat leaf parsley (optional)

Directions:
Lay chicken in a single layer and covered between two sheets of plastic wrap or place in large zip lock bag. Using a mallet, lightly pound chicken breast to ¼ inch thickness.

In a medium size bowl, beat eggs.

Place flour on a plate and mix in salt and pepper.

On another plate, mix panko breadcrumbs with Parmesan cheese.

One at a time, dip chicken breast cutlets in flour and shake off excess. Now dip in egg wash and then immediately place in panko breadcrumbs. Cover completely with panko crumbs and press. Place on a platter and continue with remaining cutlets.

In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken cutlets. Cook until well browned on both sides (approximately 7 minutes each side), turning only once. Adjust heat so that chicken is always sizzling, but not burning. Remove chicken breast and lay on paper towels.  Remove pan from heat and spoon out any left over oil, but do not wash pan.  Return pan to stove and allow to cool, pour marina sauce into pan, turn heat on to medium.

Add chicken cutlets to the marina sauce, sprinkle cheese on top of each chicken cutlet.  Cover frying pan and cook for 5 minutes, until cheese melts.

Serve chicken cutlets with linguine and top with additional sauce and cheese as desired.
Tra di Noi on Urbanspoon

10 comments:

  1. I love chicken parmesan and I love this even more because of the panko crust. Totally delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea with the panko crust. Panko is my favorite kind of breading too! I think it adds so much more to a dish. I adore chicken parmesan and this looks amazing. I am jealous of your warm weather there...the winter has become relentless in Montana! Great to meet you through FoodBuzz and I look forward to reading more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks absolutely delicious! I've been wanting to try to make chicken parmesan and I think this is just the recipe that I need. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am addicted to panko! I need to buy stock. This looks like an awesome recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A must-try recipe! I've given you a "Happy Blogger Award" @ http://sandrarecipeblogsite.blogspot.com/ by the way ;) Love, love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dori, this looks delicious. I have a similar version that I make with pork, so I know my family will love yours. I am new to your blog, so I spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, Thank you so much for your comment. It made my day :)

      Delete
  7. This looks amazing! Keep those Italian dishes coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dish looks delish! Nice meeting you @ foodbuzz1 =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea! I've never tried mashing up panko crusted chicken parmesan before, but now will definitely have to give it a try! catering bristol

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...