Tuesday, March 13, 2012

green velvet sheet cake

Enter to Win The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier cookbook! 

OK, I must confess…my favorite mornings are Saturday’s when I lie in bed, cup of coffee in hand and watch The Pioneer Woman with my hubby. Watching her show makes me want to start my weekend cooking.

Why do I enjoy watching The Pioneer Woman? Ree Drummond, aka The Pioneer Woman, lives in the South and cooks food that I grew up on. Her life seems so simple and yummy. I get a kick out of watching her add butter and more butter to everything that she cooks. Not only is she a city girl turn country girl (vice versa for me) but she is also a food blogger.

On one of her recent shows, she made this amazing red velvet sheet cake for a church potluck.  Red velvet is my favorite cake and I knew right away that I had to try her recipe, which is a combination of red velvet cake and Texas chocolate sheet cake.  Already having my own triple layer red velvet cake and red velvet swirl brownie recipes, I knew I had to change it up a bit.  What I did instead, was make a green velvet sheet cake, just in time for St. Patrick’s Day. Wow this cake was so delicious and bright green!

I decided to share my experience cooking this green velvet sheet cake and give away Ree Drummond’s newly released (it was released today, March 13, 2012!) cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier, to a lucky winner.

How can you enter to win The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier? All that you have to do is join this site and leave a comment under this posting that you have joined. Or if you are a current follower, leave a comment that you are interested in entering the contest.     One winner will be randomly picked from a drawing of all contestants.

Winner will be contacted by email for their mailing address and a new book will be shipped to them from Amazon.

Please join this blog for your chance to win!

This offer ends April 15, 2012. The lucky winner will be announced on my Facebook page, Malibu Kitchen. So please like that too and stay tuned.

I have my cast of ingredients and The Pioneer Woman's recipe blog for Red Velvet Sheet Cake on my lap top.

Green food coloring is combined with cocoa powder.

In a mixer, combine your wet and dry ingredients before carefully pouring in the food color and cocoa mixture.  You won't want to spill the food coloring mixture because it will make a mess and possibly stain your favorite top.

Doesn't the batter look yummy?

Batter is spread onto a baking sheet, hence the name "sheet cake".

Frost the cake and add sprinkles.  Don't you just love the bright color?  Perfect for a St. Patrick's Day celebration.

Recipe:  The Pioneer Woman's Red Velvet Sheet Cake

The recipe for this green velvet sheet cake, aka red velvet sheet cake, can be located on The Pioneer Woman's blog at http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/04/red-velvet-sheet-cake/.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!





10 comments:

  1. I think the green velvet is a great way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. I have already subscribed by email to your site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to win this cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations Tracy! You have one a copy of The Pioneer Woman's cookbook. Please email me your mailing information at Malibukitchen@gmail.com.

      Delete
    2. Oops! That should be won!

      Delete
    3. Hello Tracy - you have won the Pioneer Woman's cookbook. Please email me so that I can have it sent to you.

      Delete
  3. Awesome vibrant color! Great for right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a new follower and I would LOVE to enter this contest!
    (Such a cute blog)

    Rainey @ The Project Table

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely take on red velvet cake -- beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The green velvet cake looks delicious and I'm thinking I might make it into cupcakes instead of a pan cake. I love watching the cookbook's author on Saturday mornings while I cook breakfast and I saw the new book at Walmart Saturday afternoon and put it on my wish list. It would be simply delightful to win it!!! Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...