Thursday, March 1, 2012

egg salad with cornichons and arugula on toasted country bread



One of my favorite lunch spots is Sweet Butter Kitchen, Café’ and Market, located in Sherman Oaks, not far from Malibu. Enter through Sweet Butter's wrought iron gates and the patio herb garden into the rustic marketplace and discover a delectable array of house made muffins, scones, cookies and layer cakes. Sweet Butter also serves their signature soups, salads and sandwiches made from the freshest seasonal ingredients.


My favorite is the Egg Salad sandwich. This egg salad contains unique ingredients such as cornichons and arugula and is served between two toasted country bread slices that have been buttered, hence the name Sweet Butter. It’s rustic and elegant and so easy to make!


I love how the flavors of the tarragon, red onion, cornichons, dijon and arugula work to create an out of the ordinary egg salad sandwich. It's my version of modern comfort food, where you take vintage comfort food and modernize it.


Egg salad is so simple to make. Everything gets mixed up in a bowl...it's that easy!


Toast slices of rustic country bread and spread with butter. This is the icing on the cake. You can't eat this egg salad without the buttery toasted country bread. You would not be doing yourself justice.

Above the patio at Sweet Butter Cafe, hangs a branch that is decorated according to the current holiday or season. This branch has been an inspiration for me when decorating my center piece for a Valentine’s Day dinner and hopefully will be for this year's Christmas tree.


I fell in love with the valentine theme, which inspired my Valentine's Day dinner table centerpiece. Check out my Valentine's Day centerpiece in my posting for creamy chocolate pudding parfaits with carmel candy hearts.


I accidently got a picture of Pete Wentz, from Fall Out Boys, when I shot this photo. I had no idea when I took the picture that he was in it, until viewing the pictures days later. So typical for Los Angeles (LA), you never know who you can be dining next to. Sorry Pete!


egg salad with cornichons and arugula on toasted country bread
Inspired by Sweet Butter Cafe and Market

Ingredients:
4 eggs, hard boiled (how to hard boil eggs), peeled and chopped
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup cornichons, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
pinch of salt to taste
1 cup arugula
4 sliced rustic country bread
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened

Directions:

In a large bowl, add eggs, cornichons, red onion, tarragon, dijon mustard and mayo. Stir to combine and add salt to taste.

Toast bread slices and butter one side each. Spread 2 slices, on the unbuttered side, with the egg salad and arugula. Top with remaining bread slices.

Serve with some fresh lemonade with mint and you have the perfect Sweet Butter Cafe experience!

1 comment:

  1. oh man does that look good. Now I know what I want for lunch.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...