Wednesday, March 14, 2012

southern waffles with caramelized bananas and pecan syrup


Sunday mornings are meant for a homemade breakfast.  I love getting up on Sunday's and cooking up a special breakfast.  My family's favorite is waffles.  

Last Sunday, my hubby and daughters went dirt bike riding and I wanted to make sure that they had full bellies before leaving.  I made these waffles with a caramelized banana and pecan syrup, and turkey bacon too.  

Wow were these waffles amazingly good.  They were crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.  The syrup was sweet with bananas and the pecans added that special crunch.  I could have sworn that I was eating dessert for breakfast.  

Throw away that instant waffle mix and try making your next batch of waffles from scratch.  It's really fast and simple.  Your going to love the results and I promise, you will not go back to instant waffles again.

Measure and mix one bowl of dry ingredients and another for wet ingredients.  Combine and whisk - that's it!

Brush the top and bottom of the waffle iron with vegetable for crispy waffles.  You can use a cooking spray too, but you won't get the same crunchy results.  

Cook for a few minutes and you have the perfect waffle.

Photo taken at the Jonathan Beach Club in Santa Monica.
Well now that the hubby and girls are off on their dirt bike adventures, jumping over dirt hills, I'm going to spend a spa day at the Jonanthan Beach Club in Santa Monica.  I just love Sundays!

I hope that you enjoy these waffles soon and have a fabulous Sunday!

southern waffles with caramelized banana and pecan syrup

Adapted: My Southern Food, Devon O’Day and The Comfort Table, Katie Lee

Ingredients:

1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour

3 tablespoons sugar

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon cinnamon

1-tablespoon baking powder

2 eggs

1 ¾ cup mild

½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

1-teaspoon vanilla extract

¼ cup Vegetable oil for waffle iron


Directions:

Heat waffle iron.

In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder. In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, butter and vanilla extract. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.

Brush oil on inside top and bottom of waffle iron. Pour batter (I use ½ cup) onto waffle iron and cook for about 3 minutes, or until waffles are golden brown with a crunch.

caramelized bananas and pecan syrup

Ingredients:

1-cup maple syrup

2 bananas, peeled and sliced into 1 inch slices

1-cup pecans

In medium frying pan over medium heat, sauté pecans for 1 minute. Add bananas and syrup. Cook until hot and bubbly, about 4 minutes.

Waffle batter can also be refrigerated for later use if there are any leftovers.

15 comments:

  1. heey i was wondering if half and half can replace the milk? I dont have milk and i cant run and get it cuz i already started. umm emial me at ilynatalie92@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please let me know how they turned out. I'm sure they are very yummy with the half and half.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous-looking waffles. Thanks for the friendship request, Dori. I'll be sure to visit your blog regularly and hope you'll visit mine.

    Love reading about your life in Malibu. Every now and then I give snippets of our paradise too. ;) I live in the tropics in South America. We moved here 6 years ago from Canada. We lived there almost 30 years. I grew up in South Africa and left when I Was 21.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes - this is the perfect Sunday brunch! We love homemade waffles and your caramelized bananas sound fabulous! Beautiful waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't resist making these on the weekend! Will post the result on my blog if I'm successful. Never made any waffles from scratch before !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yumm! I might make these for breakfast sooon :)) The bananas add to the awesomeness I presume.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many great textures in these! The soft banana's, the light waffles, the crunchy pecans! Definitely a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These waffles look fantastic! I love the flavours in them and the deliciously decadent syrup as well!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Double Nutella Layered Cheesecake Brownies

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum! you had me at caramelised bananas :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow these look amazing, I absolutely love waffles at anytime of day! Can't wait to try this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the caramelized bananas and pecans--perfect topping!
    Thanks for the friend request on Foodbuzz. I buzzed ya ;)

    Happy Cooking
    --shelley

    ReplyDelete
  12. On the ingredients you listed 1 3/4 mild..? I'm assuming you meant milk. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it should be milk. Thank you for catching the typo.

      Delete
  13. Ok, so I'm a bit of a banana lover. Anything that has bananas in it, I'd eat in a second. With that said I've probably had about 20 different types of banana waffles and this was by far the MOST AMAZING!! I ate mine within 2 minutes and each bite I took my husband and I were saying how great it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm so happy that you both enjoyed them as much as we do! Thank you so much for your feedback, it was a wonderful comment to read.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...