Sunday, February 19, 2012

momofuku gooey butter cake bars



OK, so tonight I had a huge sweet tooth and was craving something sweet.  I decided to finally try out this desert bar recipe that I saw posted on Gilt Taste.  The results were so amazing that I had to post and share before going to bed.


These gooey butter cake bars were provided to Gilt Taste by Christina Tosi, author of the cookbook Milk, Momofuku Milk Bar.  I have the cookbook, however this recipe is not in it.   But her recipe for crack pie is and I hope to make that one day soon!


These rich and buttery bars are so simple to make.  The base is made from yellow cake mix. Only 6 ingredients required which makes these bars so easy and fast to make!  A great recipe if you have kids who like to help you cook.


I suggest cutting your parchment paper to allow for overhang so you can lift the bars out of the pan.  My bars almost broke apart when I was taking it out of the pan.  The batch is heavy and the center is will be really soft.


Well good night and I hope you try these gooey butter cake bars out soon too.  I think you will be just as happy as I was with the results.

momofuku gooey butter cake bars
http://www.gilttaste.com/stories/3815-momofuku-milk-bar-holiday-cookie-recipes-gooey-butter-cake-bars

Ingredients:
For the base
1 pound yellow cake mix (usually one box)
4 ounces butter, melted
1 egg

For the gooey butter topping
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1 pound powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Make the base by mixing together the dry cake mix, butter and 1 egg. Pat it into a parchment-lined 8-by-8-inch pan (leave overhanging ends on parchment paper to ease out when removing cooked bars).

Make the gooey butter topping by creaming together the cream cheese, remaining 2 eggs, sugar and vanilla. Pour it over the base cake mixture, spreading all the way to the edges. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the edges are a light golden brown, and the center still tender, but cooked.

Allow to cool completely in pan. Turn out onto a cutting board and cut into 1-inch-squares. If it’s important to you that it’s cut nice and evenly, just pop in the freezer until firm, cut while cold.



7 comments:

  1. I love your pictures, they are so colorful)) And recipes are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way too much powdered sugar! I thought it looked like a lot so I used only half of the amount listed and the cream cheese layer was still unbearably sweet. Are you sure a pound was what you meant? I would suggest no more than a cup unless you only want to taste sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Meghan, The recipe definitely calls for a 1 pound box of powder sugar. This is the same measurement used in cream cheese frosting. I really appreciate your feedback, even if you did find the bars too sweet and others too could use your advise for less sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Dori, thanks for sharing the recipe. Made these for dinner guests and they asked for the recipe. A few years back my sister-in-law made these when we visited and my kids loved them, but she wouldn’t share the recipe, so I’m glad I found this on Pinterest. By the way, I made these exactly as you suggested here with 1 pound of powdered sugar and they turned out great. My son thought they could possibly use frosting. Had to laugh. To each his own I guess. I asked my husband if he liked them, he said “no, I loved them”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment brought a huge smile to my face. I'm so glad that you now have the recipe!

      Delete
  5. Just put this recipe in the oven, Cannot wait to hear what everyone thinks about it at the picnic today. My dad has always bought butter cake at his local bakery, which has closed. I hope he will like. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Please let me know how much everyone enjoyed them. Thank you for letting me know too. Happy Memorial Day!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...