Friday, October 21, 2011

almond poppy seed bread



Yesterday was my hubby's Birthday and instead of the traditional Birthday cake, I made him Almond Poppy Seed Bread. My Almond Poppy Seed Bread is his favorite and I seriously had to stop him from eating the whole loaf.


Did you know that poppy seeds have long been used as a folk remedy to aid sleeping, promote fertility and wealth, and even to provide supposed magical powers of invisibility? Well, I can tell you that my husband did not sleep soundly through the night, I’m not pregnant, my bank account did not grow and he is not invisable - thank goodness!


This Almond Poppy Seed Bread is sweet and with a fragrant almond flavor. A powdered sugar glaze is poured over the top while the bread is still warm which adds an extra layer of almond flavor.


This recipe makes 2 loafs.



I sometimes freeze one of the loafs and save for another time. You can even serve this bread for breakfast or take it with you to one of your holiday parties this season.

Photo of my hubby and step daughter surfing in Malibu
I definately found a needle in a haystack when I found my hubby.  He is such a good and loving husband.  I count my blessings everyday that I met him. 

My husband truly loves the water.  He is a boater, surfer, stand-up paddle boarder, fisher and diver.  Malibu fits in so well with his lifestyle and  is the perfect place for us.

almond poppy seed bread
makes 2 loaf

Bread
Ingredients:
3 cups of all purpose flour
2 ½ cups sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ cup fat free or low fat milk (I’m always looking for ways to cut calories without cutting the flavor)
1 ½ cup of vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
Pam ( use Baking Pam)  for spraying loaf pans

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.  Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, extracts, and poppy seeds to flour mixture and whisk until thoroughly combined.

Spray 2 9-inch loaf pans and evenly pour mixture into both pans.  Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick or knife can be inserted into the center of the bread and comes out clean

Glaze
Ingredients:
¾ cup powdered sugar
¼ cup fat free or low fat milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract

Directions:
Make glaze while the bread is baking.  In a small bowl, add powdered sugar, milk, and extracts.  Whisk until mixture is combined and there are no more lumps.  You may need to whisk once more prior to brushing onto loafs.

When the bread is done, remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove bread from loaf pans.  Brush glaze on top of warm bread loafs.  Serve warm or at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...